Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Pagan Blog Project-D is for Discovering My Path

People find their way to the god/goddess many different ways. This is my story.

In October of 2001, I went to meet my sister in Salem, MA for what I thought was just a Halloween get-a-way. I have always loved this time of year. During our little mini vacation, my sister decided to come out of the proverbial broom closet to me. My first reaction was one of confusion, as we were both raised to be Roman Catholic. However during our trip I decided to keep an open mind. She told me about her beliefs and that they were here to celebrate Samhain.

So we did the normal touristy type thi
2001 Salem, MA for Samhain
ngs that one would do in Salem. We visited Laurie Cabot's store as well as many others. Upon visiting Nu Aeon, we found that The Temple of Nine Wells, headed by Gypsy Ravish, was hosting a public ritual in a nearby park. I must admit I was a little afraid of what would happen in this ritual, but my curiosity out weighed my fear. That night I attended my very first pagan ritual. I was very surprised to see hundreds of people here. I did sit just out of the circle to observe. I found the ritual to be very educational. I was no longer afraid of the unknown and felt at peace there.

Upon my return home to Louisiana, I started doing my own research. You know it never occurred to me that I could even change religions. I was always taught if you are Catholic, then you are Catholic, if you are Baptist, then you were always Baptist, etc. “Conversion” never even occurred to me. As I studied on my own, did internet research and bought my first books, I realized this was what I was missing from my Catholic upbringing. A faith that accepted all peoples (for the most part) and women were not treated as the vessel of all evil. Women were given equal status and could serve their faith or gods just as well as a man could. The last few masses I had attended had been about the corruption of man through the evilness of Eve (and women). After that last mass, I never went back.
Calling the quarters Salem 2001


Now it is 2012 and I have never looked back. Once I found the goddess, I instantly knew her name. For me it is Aset or Isis as the Greeks called her. As I look back, I now know that she has always called to me, even in my childhood. I was always obsessed with Ancient Egypt. I just never imagined I could answer her call until my trip in 2001. Today, both myself and my husband (who was also raised Catholic) are now practicing pagans. I have never felt so loved or wanted as I do now. My mother also made the comment a few years back that I seem so much happier now. And I really do. I no longer obsess about problems that come up. I know all I have to do is talk with my goddess and find a plan to take care of it. My life has become so much better once I shed my christian roots.

No comments:

Post a Comment